By the time you reach your 50s, your skin will have undergone some huge changes. Not only will it still be dealing with the repercussions of the environmental damage and daily wear and tear you’ve experienced up until now, but hormonal fluctuations mean dryness, acne, discoloration, and, of course, wrinkles, become significantly more prominent.
If you want to keep mature skin looking plump, firm, and radiant for as long as possible, then you’ll need a good anti-aging skincare routine. And yes, topical products really can instigate deep and long-lasting changes in 50 year old skin, so long as you’re using the right ones.
So, how do you know which products to turn to once you’re in your 50s? By reading on – we’ve gathered together 10 superstar products that would each make the perfect addition to an anti-aging regimen. Each formula has been clinically proven to work well on mature skin, so take your pick from the list below if you’d like to enjoy youthful-looking skin once again.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Glycolic Night Cream
#3rd Best Choice
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen SPF 60
Table of Contents
- Top-Rated Formula for Lifting & Firming the Skin: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for 50s: Caudalie Vinoperfect Glycolic Night Cream
- Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 50 That’s Sensitive or Sun Damaged: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen SPF 60
- Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Combination/Oily Skin on the Face & Neck: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Sheer Tint SPF 20
- Best Skincare for Older Women With Discoloration, Rosacea, or Acne: EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
- Best Facial Cleanser for Over 50 if You Need an Affordable Regimen: CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- Best Serum for Boosting Collagen Production Around the Eyes: Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum
- Best Anti-Aging Cream for 50 Year Olds to Use around the Eyes: Avène Soothing Eye Contour Cream
- Best Anti-Aging Serum for 50s: Olay Regenerist Fragrance-Free Regenerating Face Serum
- Best Formula for Hydration & Rejuvenation Benefits: SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore
- What is the Best Skin Care Routine for 50 Year Old Woman?
- Q: What is a good skin care line for over 50?
- Q: How can I rejuvenate my 50 year old skin?
- Q: Which cream is best for 50 year old woman?
- Q: Which facial oil is best for 50 year old woman?
- Q: According to dermatologists, what are the best anti-aging skin care products for 50s?
- Q: What is the best moisturizer for aging skin over 50?
- Conclusion: Finding the Right Products & Treatments for Skin Over 50
Top-Rated Formula for Lifting & Firming the Skin: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
There are two reasons why the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment tops this list. Firstly, it’s super-effective at smoothing and firming fine lines and wrinkles – after just a few weeks of regular use, skin elasticity noticeably improves. However, what makes this cream even better is that you don’t need to wait weeks to see results – it also provides instant tightening and brightening benefits, reducing all of the visible signs of aging on your face in just a few seconds.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, DMAE & Hyaluronic Acid
Vitamins A and C are known for being big-hitters in the anti-aging world, and there are two forms of each in this lightweight formula.
This cream also contains DMAE, a compound proven to help with fine lines, wrinkles, and firmness , thanks to the way in which it boosts collagen synthesis. Hyaluronic acid aids in this too, while also deeply hydrating the skin to give it a plumper and brighter finish.
- Offers both instant and long-term results
- Smooths fine lines and wrinkles, tightens the skin, and fades discoloration
- Non-comedogenic, dermatologist-tested, and safe for all skin types
- Costs a little more than some of the other creams on this list, but it still offers good value when you factor in the results that it provides
Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for 50s: Caudalie Vinoperfect Glycolic Night Cream
If you’re looking for a night cream that will have you waking up to a deeply radiant glow, then we would recommend the Caudalie Vinoperfect Glycolic Night Cream. While it mainly focuses on dark spots and an uneven texture, this cream also helps with hydration and wrinkles too, making it a fantastic all-rounder.
Key Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Papaya Enzymes & Viniferine
There are a few ingredients that contribute to this cream’s lightening and brightening effects. Glycolic acid is one – this alpha hydroxy acid will remove dead skin cells to give your skin tone a glow. This also speeds up cell turnover, which encourages dark spots to fade faster.
Papaya enzymes have the same exfoliating effect, yet they also come with antioxidants to tackle the aging process. Viniferine is worth knowing about too – this patented compound, which comes from vine sap, is 62 times more effective at brightening discoloration than vitamin C.
- Contains a powerful patented anti-aging ingredient that can’t be found elsewhere
- Focuses on brightening the skin tone and improving skin texture, but helps with wrinkles too
- A clean formula that doesn’t contain any irritants or harmful ingredients
- Some people with oily skin find that this cream feels a little too rich, although it doesn’t seem to lead to clogged pores
Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 50 That’s Sensitive or Sun Damaged: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen SPF 60
If you’ve experienced a fair amount of sun damage over the years or you have skin that’s always been on the sensitive side, then the La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Lotion Sunscreen SPF 60 would be the perfect product to use during the day. Not only will this water-resistant formula shield damaged and sensitive skin from the sun, but it will also soothe inflammation and help to put a stop to skin aging.
Key Ingredients: Cell-Ox Shield® Technology, Antioxidants, Vitamin E & La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water
Patented by the brand, Cell-Ox Shield® Technology delivers both photo-stable UV filters as well as antioxidants to protect skin from the sun. This means that even if a few UV rays manage to sneak past the filters (unlikely, with broad-spectrum SPF 60), those antioxidants on the surface layer of your skin will reverse any damage that’s caused before things get serious. Pretty clever!
Vitamin E has been included in this formula as well to soothe and moisturize the skin, although it’s also known for its powerful antioxidant properties. Finally, as with all La Roche-Posay products, the brand’s exclusive thermal spring water makes up the base of this product. This water has been proven to have a high mineral content and skin-soothing properties .
- Provides broad-spectrum SPF 60, which is enough to protect even sensitive skin types from the sun
- Contains antioxidants to heal damaged skin
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, oil-free, and non-comedogenic – ie. suitable for all skin types!
- Its chemical-based UV blockers could trigger sensitivities
Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream for Combination/Oily Skin on the Face & Neck: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Sheer Tint SPF 20
If hormonal changes have kicked your skin’s oil production into overdrive, then we would recommend the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer Sheer Tint SPF 20 for daytime use. Available in five tints to suit every skin tone, this lotion, which is often referred to as a lightweight foundation alternative, will mask any blemishes or discoloration, protect your skin from sun damage, and boost collagen production all at the same time!
Key Ingredients: Retinol, Retinyl Palmitate & Arginine
In addition to retinol, this cream also contains retinyl palmitate, another vitamin A derivative. Together, the two work to increase how much collagen the skin produces, while also enhancing cellular turnover to brighten the complexion.
Arginine is another noteworthy inclusion. This amino acid not only brings anti-aging properties to the table , but will leave you with hydrated skin too.
- Available in five tints to mask discoloration, redness, and blemishes
- A hybrid foundation/anti-aging cream formula that also offers sun protection
- Contains parabens and fragrance, which could irritate sensitive skin
- It may not be hydrating enough for dry skin
Best Skincare for Older Women With Discoloration, Rosacea, or Acne: EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
We’ve already featured two SPF products, but both aren’t suitable for highly sensitive skin. For this skin type, we’d recommend the EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46. This is one of the best anti-aging skin care products for 50 year olds with sensitivities, whether this may be sun damage, rosacea, or acne. It’ll calm, soothe, and protect your skin while leaving it feeling deeply hydrated.
Key Ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin E & Sodium Hyaluronate
This product makes use of zinc oxide as a sunscreen agent, with this natural mineral much less likely to irritate the skin than its chemical counterparts.
In terms of its soothing effects, these are down to the combination of niacinamide and vitamin E, both of which also help damaged skin heal by fortifying the skin barrier. Sodium hyaluronate, the salt form of hyaluronic acid, is in this cream too for its hydrating and plumping abilities, while a small amount of exfoliating lactic acid helps to keep dull skin at bay.
- Contains mineral, instead of chemical, UV blockers, which better suit sensitive and acne-prone skin
- Protects the skin from the sun, hydrates the skin, and evens out the skin tone
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, and oil-free – designed with sensitivities in mind
- Doesn’t contain many anti-wrinkle ingredients, but it can easily be layered over the top of an anti-aging serum
Best Facial Cleanser for Over 50 if You Need an Affordable Regimen: CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Your cleanser sets the tone for the rest of your skincare routine, but it’s understandable if you don’t want to spend a fortune on a product that’s going to be washed down the drain after 30 seconds. However, you still need a cleanser that’s going to be gentle on mature skin, which is why the CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser is such a hit. This formula ticks all of the boxes – it deeply cleanses the skin without stripping it dry, and it’s affordable too!
Key Ingredients: Ceramides, Sodium Hyaluronate & Glycerin
Ceramides are key when it comes to the structure and health of your skin barrier, so it’s great to see them being used in a cleanser – a product that has a bad rep of disrupting the skin’s barrier.
You’ll find a duo of humectants in this formula too. Both sodium hyaluronate and glycerin are highly effective at drawing moisture into skin cells, which plumps them up and leaves them feeling refreshed.
- Cleanses the skin of makeup and dirt without drying it out
- Contains hydrating ingredients that fortify the skin barrier
- Non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, and irritant-free
- May not be strong enough for people with oily skin
Best Serum for Boosting Collagen Production Around the Eyes: Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum
Once you’re in your 50s and your skin loses its volume and structure, the eye area quickly starts to wrinkle and sag. If you can relate, give the Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Eye Serum a try. It’s a thick serum that quickly absorbs into the skin to both prevent and correct the changes that are experienced as the skin ages.
Key Ingredients: Retinol Tri-Active Technology, Cotton Wool Grass Extract & Marine Kelp Extract
You’ll find retinol in all of the best anti-aging products, but this formula takes things a step further. It brings together a fast-acting retinoid with time-released retinol and a retinol booster to really enhance its anti-aging results.
This product’s 24-hour hydrating effect is down to cotton wool grass extract and marine kelp extract, both of which are loaded with antioxidants too.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles after 4 weeks of regular use
- Hydrates the skin for up to 24 hours
- Contains an exclusive retinol complex that can’t be found anywhere else
- Contains fragrance and coloring additives, which could trigger sensitivities
Best Anti-Aging Cream for 50 Year Olds to Use around the Eyes: Avène Soothing Eye Contour Cream
Eye serums are great, but for full benefits, you should be using an eye cream as well. Our top pick? The Avene Soothing Eye Counter Cream because of how it hydrates and calms the skin while reducing redness and puffiness. Even better, unlike most other eye creams out there, this one is safe for use on the eyelids.
Key Ingredients: Bisabolol & Dextran Sulphate
Since it has been designed to soothe the skin, this formula doesn’t have a very long ingredient list. Bisabolol takes center stage, with this active helping to heal and nourish the skin.
Dextran sulphate has soothing and decongesting properties – ideal for hypersensitive skin!
- Designed for sensitive skin yet effective on all skin types
- Hydrates and soothes the eye area
- Doesn’t contain many anti-aging ingredients – this eye cream won’t really help with fine lines and crow’s feet
Best Anti-Aging Serum for 50s: Olay Regenerist Fragrance-Free Regenerating Face Serum
Serums are highly potent, and a good anti-aging routine should contain at least one or two of them. If you need a serum capable of smoothing, brightening, and hydrating the skin, then the Olay Regenerist Fragrance-Free Regenerating Face Serum won’t disappoint.
Key Ingredients: Niacinamide & Amino Peptides
This super-lightweight formula has been infused with niacinamide. Not only is this much-loved ingredient an antioxidant, but it also helps to strengthen the skin barrier, reduce hyperpigmentation, and diminish wrinkles – everything you need when you’re in your 50s!
You’ll also find an amino-peptide complex in this cream. Your skin uses these amino acids and peptides to build new protein fibers. In turn, this gives the skin a fuller, firmer, and smoother finish.
- Softens, smooths, and brightens the skin
- A great formula for keeping the skin hydrated
- Lightweight and absorbs quickly into the skin
- Contains parfum, which could exacerbate sensitivities
Best Formula for Hydration & Rejuvenation Benefits: SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore
One of the best things that you could do for your skin once you’re in your 50s is to use products designed to boost your skin’s natural protective barrier, which is exactly what the SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore cream does. As a result, this product is able to help with hydration, skin texture and tone, pore appearance, skin fullness, and overall rejuvenation.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides & Fatty Acids
This cream is loaded with barrier-boosting ingredients, including 2% ceramides, 2% fatty acids, and 4% natural cholesterol.
As these compounds absorb into the skin, they merge with the skin’s own natural lipids to create an enhanced barrier that looks decades younger.
- Helps with many of the visible signs of skin aging
- Great for strengthening the skin’s barrier
- May be too rich for people with oily skin
What is the Best Skin Care Routine for 50 Year Old Woman?
As you can see, we’ve featured several different types of products on this page, but what does your skin actually need once you’re in your 50s?
Here are the best product types to include in your anti-aging skincare routine:
- A gentle cleanser
- A hydrating, balancing toner
- One or two anti-aging serums
- An eye serum and/or an eye cream
- A wrinkle cream
Which Ingredients Should You Be Looking For in the Best Anti-Aging Products for Over 50?
When it comes to the best ingredients to keep an eye out for, we’ve featured most of them above. Some of the best anti-aging ingredients out there are:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Hyaluronic acid
Find products with some or all of the above and your skin will look better than ever!
Q: What is a good skin care line for over 50?
We love the LifeCell skin care line for over 50s because of its powerful anti-aging effects.
Q: How can I rejuvenate my 50 year old skin?
Make sure that your skincare routine consists of at least a cleanser, a serum, and a deep wrinkle night cream. It’s important to keep your lifestyle healthy too as this will reflect in your skin.
Q: Which cream is best for 50 year old woman?
For a 50 year old woman, the best cream will contain a range of vitamins, peptides, hydrating ingredients, and antioxidants.
Q: Which facial oil is best for 50 year old woman?
Look for natural oils that have been derived from plants, as these will be loaded with antioxidants.
Q: According to dermatologists, what are the best anti-aging skin care products for 50s?
A board-certified dermatologist would usually recommend that people in their 50s use skin care products containing retinol and vitamin C.
Q: What is the best moisturizer for aging skin over 50?
All of the moisturizers that we’ve featured on this page are absolutely ideal for aging skin over 50.
Conclusion: Finding the Right Products & Treatments for Skin Over 50
Ready to say goodbye to that aging appearance and welcome in a youthful and radiant glow? It may seem hard to imagine now, but try adding a selection of the above products into your anti-aging routine and you should start to see changes in your skin after just a few weeks.