When it comes to caring for mature skin, a moisturizer is non-negotiable.
The older you are, the thinner your skin will be, making it unable to retain the same levels of moisture as it did in its youth. No matter your skin type or the skin concerns you may be dealing with, your skin cells still need moisture to properly function, and a good moisturizer will give them just that.
However, in addition to increasing the skin’s moisture levels, the best moisturizers for mature skin will also target various other aging-related skin concerns. Are you dealing with fine lines and wrinkles? Dark spots? A rough and uneven texture? Whatever your issues may be, you’ve found the right page. Read on to learn more about 10 face creams that have been clinically proven to transform mature skin.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Olay Regenerist Fragrance-Free Regenerating Face Serum
#3rd Best Choice
Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Table of Contents
- Best Moisturizer for Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Elasticity & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Drugstore Moisturizer for Mature Skin: OLAY Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Fragrance-Free
- Best Facial Moisturizer for Over 50 Combination Skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
- Highest Rated Inexpensive Moisturizer for Older Women: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- Best Moisturizer for Mature Dry Skin: SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore
- Best Day Moisturizer for Aging Skin That’s Dehydrated: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream Moisturizer
- Best Moisturizer for Sensitive Older Skin as Recommended by Dermatologists: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
- Best Under-Makeup Moisturizer for Mature Skin: EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44
- Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60 to Use at Night: Revision Skincare D.E.J. Night Face Cream
- Best Formula for Nourishing the Eye Area With Collagen-Boosting Ingredients: Lumiere Riche Extra Moisturizing Illuminating Eye Cream
- Best Day Cream for Aging Skin That Needs Sunscreen: Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream
- Q: What is the top-rated moisturizer for mature skin?
- Q: What is the best moisturiser for over 60s?
- Q: What is the best budget moisturiser for mature skin?
- Q: What is the best moisturiser for over 65s?
- Q: What is the best moisturizer for 70-year-old skin?
- Q: Which body products are best when shopping for skincare for mature skin?
- Q: What are the best facial creams for mature skin with retinol?
- Q: Which brand has the best lotion for older skin?
- Q: Where can I find the top moisturizers for aging skin?
- Conclusion: So, What is the Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin?
Best Moisturizer for Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Elasticity & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
There are certain anti-aging ingredients out there that are known for being game-changers. Retinol, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, peptides, plant stem cells – just about every expert would attest to the success that those ingredients have had, in multiple studies, when it comes to reducing fine lines, increasing elasticity, and evening out the skin tone.
The good news? You’ll find all of these compounds (plus many more skin-loving ingredients) in the LifeCell All-in-One Skin Tightening Treatment. It’ll moisturize your skin while working diligently in the background to produce a firmer and tighter complexion after a few weeks of regular use. That said, you don’t need to wait that long to see results – thanks to its micro-fillers and light-reflecting microtechnology, this formula also offers up instant smoothing and brightening effects.
- Contains a long list of powerful anti-aging ingredients
- Formulated with several humectants and non-comedogenic plant oils to keep the skin moisturized
- Safe for all skin types
- Some people find that it can take a month or so for the long-term results to start becoming apparent (but after this, the skin continues to improve at a more rapid rate)
Best Drugstore Moisturizer for Mature Skin: OLAY Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream Fragrance-Free
If you’re looking for a face moisturizer that you can easily pick up at your local drugstore, then we’d go with the OLAY Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. This popular go-to will make your skin look immediately softer and plumper, with skin staying hydrated for 24 hours after application. After 28 days of using this product, you’ll start to see even bigger improvements in how smooth and firm your skin looks.
There are two main active ingredients in this formula; niacinamide, which evens out the skin tone and brightens the complexion, and peptides, which fortify the skin barrier to make it thicker and more resilient to damage.
- Hydrates the skin for 24 hours
- Long-term results become noticeable after 28 days
- Helps to encourage a firmer and smoother complexion
- This is a fragrance-free formula
- Contains parabens
- Isn’t suitable for people with sensitive skin
Best Facial Moisturizer for Over 50 Combination Skin: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Combination skin can be tricky to deal with. You need an anti-aging cream that’s hydrating enough to quench dry skin, yet lightweight enough to not clog pores or trigger breakouts in your oiler areas. Fortunately, the Neutrogena Hydro Boost meets these requirements.
This unique gel moisturizer is extremely lightweight and absorbs into the skin in seconds. It is loaded with glycerin and hyaluronic acid, with both of these humectants known for their ability to keep the skin hydrated. It also contains trehalose, a natural sugar that moisturizes the skin and acts as an antioxidant – ideal for tackling the visible signs of aging!
- Has a very lightweight texture – feels more like a watery gel rather than a cream
- Hydrates and plumps up skin cells
- This is an oil-free moisturizer that won’t cause breakouts in acne-prone mature skin
- Doesn’t contain as many anti-aging ingredients as some of the other moisturizer products on this list
- Contains parfum, which could exacerbate sensitivities
- Not rich enough for people with dry mature skin
Highest Rated Inexpensive Moisturizer for Older Women: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
If you’ve been struggling to find moisturizers for mature skin that don’t cost a fortune, turn your attention to the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. This budget-friendly formula makes use of the brand’s patented MVE Delivery Technology to slowly but steadily deliver its moisturizing ingredients to the skin, meaning longer-lasting hydration.
Those moisturizing agents mainly consist of humectants (sodium hyaluronate and glycerin), as well as a selection of ceramides. Proven to increase skin hydration levels for up to 24 hours while also improving skin barrier function , ceramides are a must for anyone with mature skin.
- A highly moisturizing cream that offers long-lasting hydrating effects
- Designed for dry and very dry skin
- The fragrance-free formula makes this moisturizer suitable for people with sensitivities
- Contains petrolatum, which is likely to clog pores if you have oily skin
Best Moisturizer for Mature Dry Skin: SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore
It’s extremely common to experience dryness as the skin ages since this is when sebum production can start to decline. The best way to counter this is to add a lipid-rich cream into your skincare routine, and the SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore is one of our favorites. This formula is all about replenishing the skin’s barrier. In turn, this helps to improve firmness, skin texture, hydration, and overall radiance.
The active ingredients in this cream are all lipid-based. You’ll find 2% ceramides, 2% fatty acids, and 4% cholesterol. Don’t worry, this isn’t the same cholesterol that your doctor has been warning you to cut out of your diet. Instead, when applied topically, cholesterol extracts absorb quickly into the skin and function as an emollient, helping to improve suppleness and smoothness without leaving an oily residue behind .
- Focuses on strengthening the skin’s protective barrier, which naturally weakens with age
- Hydrates the skin for up to 8 hours, while helping with smoothness and elasticity in the long run
- A lightweight cream that absorbs quickly into the skin
- Comes with quite a high price tag (but reviews state that it’s worth the cost!)
Best Day Moisturizer for Aging Skin That’s Dehydrated: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream Moisturizer
Dry skin lacks lipids and oils, while dehydrated skin lacks moisture. While rich, lipid-based creams are ideal for dry skin, dehydrated skin types need a formula that will increase moisture levels, and the Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream Moisturizer is perfect for this.
This formula is inspired by isotonic rehydration. This is a blend of minerals, sugar, and water that athletes use to restore a dehydrated body, and it works in the same way when applied topically. From plant sugar mannose to shea butter, this formula not only provides 48 hours of hydration but also diminishes fine lines too.
- Hydrates dry and dehydrated skin for 48 hours
- 97% of the ingredients in this cream come from natural sources
- Hypoallergenic and safe to be used on sensitive skin
- Focuses more on hydration, rather than anti-aging
Best Moisturizer for Sensitive Older Skin as Recommended by Dermatologists: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer
Finding the best facial moisturizer for mature skin becomes even harder if you’ve also got sensitivities to deal with. Thankfully, this is where the La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer steps in. Designed specifically for sensitive skin, this formula offers 48 hours of hydration. Even better, it’ll start to repair your skin’s barrier an hour after application, which is something that anyone with sensitivities would benefit from.
These barrier-strengthening properties are down to the ceramides and humectants that have been infused into this cream. It also contains niacinamide to even out skin texture and tone, along with a prebiotic solution that supports the skin’s natural microbiome.
- Designed for sensitive skin but can be used on other skin types too
- Soothes, calms, softens and plumps up the skin
- Free of fragrances, parabens, alcohols, and other irritants
- Some people are put off by the scent of this product, but we appreciate its fragrance-free formula
Best Under-Makeup Moisturizer for Mature Skin: EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44
If you’ve been looking for the best moisturizer to wear under makeup, then check out the EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44. This formula acts as the perfect makeup base for a few reasons; it provides SPF 44 to protect your skin from sun damage, it hydrates the skin to give you a smooth canvas to work from, and its universal tint means that you likely won’t need to apply foundation.
The UV filters in this formula are mineral-based, with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide providing broad-spectrum protection. It’s also brimming with vitamin C to brighten the skin, plus hyaluronic acid for an instantly fuller and plumper finish.
- Contains SPF 44, which is enough to protect mature skin from sun exposure
- This tinted formula instantly masks blemishes and evens out the skin tone
- Free of fragrances, parabens, oils, and dyes, and is also a vegan formula
- It may not be hydrating enough for people with dry skin, but it can always be layered over the top of moisturizing facial serums and creams
Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60 to Use at Night: Revision Skincare D.E.J. Night Face Cream
When it comes to treating aging skin, a good night cream is a must. Our top recommendation? The Revision Skincare D.E.J. Night Face Cream. Not only does this cream contain retinol, an anti-aging must-have because of how it accelerates cell renewal and boosts collagen production, but it’s also formulated with bakuchiol, a plant-based retinol alternative that offers the same results.
There are a few other anti-aging classics in this cream, including vitamin C and peptides. However, it also makes use of a selection of ingredients that most probably won’t be familiar with; alpha-glucan oligosaccharide to diversify the skin’s microbiome, astragalus extract to hydrate the skin, and several antioxidant-rich botanicals to fight the free radicals that would have otherwise accelerated the skin aging process.
- A night cream that’s packed with several effective anti-aging ingredients
- Will help with skin firmness, smoothness, and brightness
- An extremely hydrating formula
- A little pricey, but worth it for such a high-performance formula
Best Formula for Nourishing the Eye Area With Collagen-Boosting Ingredients: Lumiere Riche Extra Moisturizing Illuminating Eye Cream
The skin around the eyes is thinner and more fragile than the skin on the rest of the face, meaning that it’s often the first part of the appearance to display signs of aging. The Lumiere Riche Extra Moisturizing Illuminating Eye Cream will restore a youthful look to your eye area – use it for 14 days and not only will you see a reduction in fine lines and crow’s feet, but you’ll enjoy significant de-puffing and brightening results too.
This formula relies on human growth factors to accelerate cell renewal and improve elasticity and tone. It also contains emollients to hydrate and soften the skin, peptides to help with sagging skin, glycyrrhetinic acid to brighten dark circles, and caffeine to reduce puffiness.
- Designed to treat aging skin around the eyes
- Helps with hydration, dullness, wrinkles, and puffiness
- Non-comedogenic and free of irritants, making it suitable for people with sensitivities
- Not suitable for oily, acne-prone mature skin
Best Day Cream for Aging Skin That Needs Sunscreen: Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream
If you’d like to simplify your skin care routine by cutting down on the number of steps it involves, then you need the Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream. With SPF 30, this formula is both an effective broad-spectrum sunscreen as well as a powerful anti-aging cream.
Although its UV-blockers may be chemical-based, there are a number of plant-derived ingredients in this formula that are perfect for aging skin. The grape extract helps with deep wrinkles, beet extract moisturizes the skin, and artichoke extract improves roughness and elasticity . There’s also lactic acid in this blend, the gentlest of all of the alpha hydroxy acids, to exfoliate dead skin cells and give the complexion a newfound radiance.
- Designed for dry mature skin but can be used on all skin types
- Deeply hydrates the skin while also tackling several signs of aging
- Contains SPF 30 to protect the skin from UV damage
- Contains fragrance, which could cause irritation for people with sensitivities
Q: What is the top-rated moisturizer for mature skin?
All of the products featured on this page are considered to be the best moisturizers for mature skin.
Q: What is the best moisturiser for over 60s?
All of the moisturizers on this page will be able to help with the wrinkles, sagging skin, and loss of radiance that people in their 60s experience.
Q: What is the best budget moisturiser for mature skin?
Neutrogena, Olay, and CeraVe all sell budget-friendly skincare products for mature skin.
Q: What is the best moisturiser for over 65s?
The best moisturizer for mature skin over 65 should contain vitamin C, vitamin E, peptides, retinol, and green tea.
Q: What is the best moisturizer for 70-year-old skin?
The best moisturizer for 70-year-old skin should contain plenty of hydrating ingredients, including hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and plant oils.
Q: Which body products are best when shopping for skincare for mature skin?
To treat aging skin on the body, look for a rich and nourishing moisturizer. An exfoliant is also important, ideally one that contains glycolic acid.
Q: What are the best facial creams for mature skin with retinol?
You’ll find a few retinol creams featured on this page – the formula from LifeCell is one of our top picks.
Q: Which brand has the best lotion for older skin?
When it comes to moisturizing aging skin, thick cream is usually better than a lotion. You’ll find several products on this page that are perfect for treating dry mature skin.
Q: Where can I find the top moisturizers for aging skin?
You’ll be able to find the best facial moisturizer for older skin right here on this page. Each product can easily be ordered online, but some will be available over-the-counter at local stores too.
Conclusion: So, What is the Best Face Moisturizer for Aging Skin?
As you can see, you have plenty of options available to you when searching for the best moisturizer for aging skin. Which one should you pick? This all depends on your skin type, as well as the specific skin concerns that you’re dealing with. However, for best results, we would recommend adding two moisturizers to your skincare routine; one for daytime use and one for the night. Use them both consistently and you should notice your skin taking on a more youthful glow after just a few weeks.