Nobody wants to look older than they really are. Unfortunately, unless you’re taking proper care of your skin, chances are that the aging process will catch up with you before you realize it – those fine lines and subtle blemishes that were once so easy to ignore will turn into rigid wrinkles and dark spots seemingly overnight.
Is it possible to reverse these changes in your skin once they happen? According to science, yes . There are several ways to repair the effects that aging has had on your skin – adjusting your diet, keeping your body active, and, of course, consistently following a solid anti-aging skincare routine.
There are certain skincare products out there that are more than capable of transforming your skin – the trick lies in knowing which ones actually work versus which ones are nothing more than cleverly-conceived marketing hype. Fortunately, that’s why we’re here – we’ve rounded up 10 of the best anti-aging products available, each one clinically proven to contribute to smoother, firmer, and younger-looking skin. Read on to find out more!
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer
#3rd Best Choice
Avène RetrinAL Day Cream
Table of Contents
- Best Skincare Line for Aging Skin With Wrinkles & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Cream for Reversing Aging on the Face & Neck: Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer
- Best Product for Lifting & Toning the Face and Body: Avène RetrinAL Day Cream
- Best Skincare for Mature Skin That’s Itchy, Flaky, and Needs Hydration: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
- Best Age Defying Face, Eyes, and Neck Formula to Use on Dry Skin: Paula’s Choice Resist Intensive Repair Cream
- Best Moisturizer for Brightening & Smoothing Effects: Algenist Genius Ultimate Cream
- Best Cream for Firmness & Elasticity Benefits: SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Interrupter
- Best Anti-Aging Products for Over 50: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum
- Best Night Serum for Renewing Skin Cells & Giving the Face a Glow: Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex
- Best Anti-Aging Skin Care Products for 40s: SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex
- How to Choose the Best Skincare Products for Aging Skin
- Q: What is the best skin care routine for aging skin?
- Q: Which brand is best for anti-aging?
- Q: What is the number one dermatologist-recommended skin care brand?
- Q: What is the best anti-aging skin care line?
- Q: What are the best skin products for aging skin on the hands?
- Q: What is the best wrinkle cream on the market?
- Q: What is the best anti-aging kit for combination skin?
- Q: Do skin treatments with retinoids cause redness?
- Q: What’s the best sunscreen for aging skin?
Best Skincare Line for Aging Skin With Wrinkles & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
When it comes to treating skin aging, you can’t go wrong with LifeCell, especially if you turn to the brand’s All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment. This lightweight, easily-absorbable cream helps with fine lines, wrinkles, firmness, and dark spots. Not only will it boost skin elasticity after a few weeks of regular use, but it also offers up instant skin-smoothing and brightening benefits – you’ll start to see an improvement in your skin from the very first time you apply this product.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, DMAE & Sodium Hyaluronate
While some anti-aging skincare products contain just a couple of active ingredients, this formula is jam-packed with a long list of them. Two forms of vitamin A encourage cell turnover and skin resurfacing, while two types of vitamin C help to tighten and brighten the skin.
DMAE brings with it its wrinkle-smoothing effects while sodium hyaluronate is loved for its ability to plump and hydrate the skin. Add to that a handful of antioxidants and you have yourself a product that targets skin aging from every angle.
- Provides both immediate and long-term results
- This formula is a multi-tasker – it smooths fine lines and wrinkles, lightens discoloration, firms, and plumps the skin, and adds a general radiance
- Non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and designed for all skin types
- Doesn’t contain any irritants or harmful preservatives
- A little pricier than some of the other anti-aging products on this list, yet it’s still a go-to for us purely because of how exceptionally well it works
Best Cream for Reversing Aging on the Face & Neck: Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer
Caudalie is known for producing formulas that hinge on exclusive scientific research, and the Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer is the perfect example of this. Powered by patented technology, this rich moisturizer helps with eight of the most common aging concerns; fine lines, wrinkles, volume, elasticity, firmness, radiance, dark spots, and hydration.
Key Ingredients: Viniferine, Hyaluronic Acid & TET8™ Patented Technology
You’re probably curious about TET8™ Patented Technology. It was conceived by Caudalie and the Harvard Medical School, and it brings together resveratrol (a potent antioxidant) with a magnolia-derived extract called honokiol. This duo activates the TET enzymes in the skin, which trigger skin cell rejuvenation to tackle the eight aging concerns mentioned above .
Viniferine is another patented ingredient. This one comes from vine sap, with the brand’s studies showing that it’s 62 times more effective at fading hyperpigmentation than vitamin C. It adds radiance to the skin, which is enhanced even further by the inclusion of moisture-binding hyaluronic acid.
- Helps to reverse eight of the most common aging concerns
- Makes use of patented ingredients and technologies that you won’t find elsewhere
- Refillable packaging will save you money in the long run, while also being more eco-friendly than single-use containers
- Contains fragrance, which could irritate sensitive skin
Best Product for Lifting & Toning the Face and Body: Avène RetrinAL Day Cream
Although designed for the face, the Avène RetrinAL Day Cream is potent enough to work wonders on the body too. Designed for dry skin, this nourishing cream will not only smooth fine lines and wrinkles but will also hydrate the skin while giving it a more lifted and toned look.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin E, Collactintm & Hyaluronic Acid
The form of vitamin E included in this cream is called pre-tocopheryl. It’s highly photostable and offers up more antioxidant benefits than other types. The hyaluronic acid in this formula is unique too – known as hyaluronic acid MO, its molecular size and structure mimic the natural HA found in human skin cells, meaning maximum absorption.
Collactintm is an ingredient that most won’t be familiar with. Exclusive to Avène, this algae-derived compound contributes to the formula’s lifting effect, yet it also helps with fine lines and wrinkles too.
- A great formula for lifting and hydrating the skin
- Contains big-name ingredients, but in unique forms that the skin is more receptive to
- Formulated with a few ingredients that aren’t suitable for oily skin, such as beeswax
Best Skincare for Mature Skin That’s Itchy, Flaky, and Needs Hydration: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream
Mature skin is highly prone to sensitivities. If you’ve been experiencing itching, flakiness, or dryness, then give the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream a try. This rich formula doubles up on skin hydration levels immediately after application, while its long-term soothing and calming properties become apparent after two weeks of regular use.
Key Ingredients: Shea Butter, Eucalyptus, Squalane & Ceramides
There are several skin-soothing ingredients in this cream. Shea butter is loaded with fatty acids that encourage hydrated skin, while squalane works as an emollient  to soften and smooth the complexion.
Thanks to how they fortify the skin barrier, ceramides help with skin moisture levels too, but they also boost collagen production to firm and tighten the skin. These collagen-boosting properties are enhanced by the addition of antioxidant-rich botanical extracts, including eucalyptus, green tea, feverfew, and licorice root.
- A very soothing and calming formula
- Perfect for relieving dryness, itching, and other forms of irritation – it can even be used by people with eczema
- Some people find that the eucalyptus essential oil in this formula irritates sensitive skin
Best Age Defying Face, Eyes, and Neck Formula to Use on Dry Skin: Paula’s Choice Resist Intensive Repair Cream
As the skin ages, it thins out, which affects its ability to retain moisture. The result is dryness, something that the Paula’s Choice Resist Intensive Repair Cream aims to counter. This super-creamy formula is a game-changer when it comes to hydrating the skin, yet it also contains a potent cocktail of anti-aging ingredients that tackle fine lines, deep wrinkles, and an uneven texture. Even better, this cream is gentle enough to be used all over the face and neck – it can even double up as an eye cream to save you an extra step in your skincare routine.
Key Ingredients: Retinol, Peptides & Niacinamide (Vitamin B3)
Retinol is the main anti-aging ingredient in this formula, which people with dry skin will often avoid due to how it can sometimes make the skin even drier. To prevent that, it’s used in a low 0.01% concentration – this is enough to help tackle the signs of aging, yet won’t irritate your skin, especially when combined with the multiple skin-strengthening peptides used in this formula.
You’ll also find niacinamide in this blend, an antioxidant that improves skin barrier function while reducing sun damage and evening out the skin tone . This is joined by vitamin C, green tea, jojoba oil, and several other antioxidant-rich active ingredients.
- Has a very rich and creamy texture that’s perfect for moisturizing dry skin
- Contains fantastic anti-aging ingredients in tolerable concentrations that won’t cause irritation
- Women with oily or combination skin find that this formula is too heavy and triggers breakouts
Best Moisturizer for Brightening & Smoothing Effects: Algenist Genius Ultimate Cream
The Algenist Genius Ultimate Cream is all about brightening, hydrating, and smoothing the skin. Use it twice daily for ten days and you’ll notice that dull skin appears more radiant, while fine lines become less noticeable. Commit to the cream for a few more weeks and you’ll see a huge improvement in suppleness and firmness, so much so that you won’t want to stop using it!
Key Ingredients: Vegan Collagen, Alguronic Acid & Microalgae Oil
Many of the best products for aging skin contain collagen, but this often comes from animal sources. The vegan collagen used in this Algenist formula really helps this product to stand out – you’ll be able to enjoy the moisturizing and firming benefits of collagen in a cruelty-free way.
A patented form of alguronic acid has also been blended into this formula. Not only does this natural compound help to smooth skin, but it also increases the efficacy of the vitamins and antioxidants in this cream. And when it comes to vitamins and antioxidants, there are plenty – all thanks to the microalgae oil and other natural extracts that have been added to this product.
- Brightens, hydrates, and firms the skin
- Contains patented anti-aging ingredients that you won’t find anywhere else
- One of the few anti-aging products out there that makes use of vegan collagen
- Contains added fragrance. This could trigger sensitivities, and many reviews say that the scent is overly powerful
Best Cream for Firmness & Elasticity Benefits: SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Interrupter
It’s not just collagen production that declines with age – your skin’s natural production of elastin, the protein that gives your skin its elasticity and bounce, slows down too. Fortunately, the SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Interruptor helps to kick this up a notch, enabling it to treat the visible signs of aging while also putting a stop to premature aging.
Key Ingredients: Proxylane™, Blueberry Extract & Phytosphingosine
Research shows that products containing just 3% of the proxylane molecule can reduce the signs of aging in a big way , making the 30% of proxylane in this formula extremely promising.
It also contains 4% blueberry extract, which helps to improve skin laxity, as well as 0.2% phytosphingosine to increase skin firmness. You’ll find vitamin E and glycerin in this cream too, both of which are popular moisturizing ingredients.
- Contains anti-aging ingredients in powerful concentrations
- Helps to improve skin elasticity, texture, and firmness
- Contains parabens
Best Anti-Aging Products for Over 50: RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum
Once you’re in your 50s and your fine lines have deepened into rigid wrinkles, it’s time to up the potency of your skincare routine, ideally with the RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum. This award-winning antioxidant serum gets to work on fine lines after four weeks of regular use, with clinical results showing that photodamage improves after eight weeks, and deep wrinkles become less visible after 12.
Key Ingredients: Retinol, Vitamin C & Vitamin E
Roc uses a patented retinol complex in their anti-aging products, with the brand’s clinical studies showing that this retinol blend is almost as powerful as prescription forms of the ingredient. This makes it perfect for reversing deep wrinkles.
Retinol becomes all the more potent when combined with both vitamin C and vitamin E, and these are present in this serum. With the addition of allantoin to soothe any irritation, this high-powered anti-aging product has been strategically tailored to the delicate skin on the face.
- Contains a retinol complex that’s more powerful than other over-the-counter retinol products
- Helps to smooth away fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- An antioxidant-rich, vitamin-packed serum
- Contains added fragrance, which could irritate sensitive skin
Best Night Serum for Renewing Skin Cells & Giving the Face a Glow: Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex
While a night cream is important, we would highly recommend combining this with a night serum if you want to see anti-aging results as quickly as possible. Our top pick would be the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Multi-Recovery Complex because of how it not only helps with aging but also tackles environmental damage and a lack of hydration.
Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, Peptides, Vitamin E & Caffeine
This serum contains several skincare classics; hyaluronic acid to plump up skin cells, peptides to moisturize and strengthen the skin, and vitamin E to provide soothing antioxidant properties. There’s also caffeine to perk up the skin, fade dark circles, and add instant radiance.
What makes this formula extra-special is its botanical infusion. There are 21 active plant extracts in this silky serum, each one brimming with vitamins, antioxidants, and other phytochemicals that protect the skin from damage.
- Adds an instant glow to the skin
- Smooths, firms, and brightens the complexion
- Helps to diminish fine lines after 3 weeks of regular use
- Not hydrating enough to be used as a standalone product for dry skin – it will need to be combined with a moisturizing night cream
Best Anti-Aging Skin Care Products for 40s: SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex
Your skin experiences damage on a daily basis, with this accumulating over time to accelerate the aging process. If you’d like to help your skin heal, and therefore slow down aging at the same time, go with the SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex.
Key Ingredients: Human Fibroblast Conditioned Media
This cream’s skin healing abilities are all down to one key ingredient; human fibroblast conditioned media. It may sound a little sci-fi, but these human adipose skin cells will kick your own cells into action, encouraging them to speed up their production of vital proteins and new cells.
How to Choose the Best Skincare Products for Aging Skin
When shopping for the best skin care for aging skin, there are a few things to keep in mind.
Firstly, for best results, always choose products that have been designed for your skin type.
You should also ensure that your skincare routine contains all of the essentials; a good cleanser, a couple of anti-aging serums, and a deep wrinkle night cream. Sun protection is vital too since sun exposure is responsible for up to 80% of visible facial aging .
Those products should be used daily, but don’t forget to also add in an exfoliant once or twice a week to remove dead skin cells. Alpha hydroxy acids are the best way to go – glycolic acid is ideal for normal, oily, and combination skin, while lactic acid better suits those with dryness and sensitivities.
Q: What is the best skin care routine for aging skin?
Start with a cleanser, and then follow up with a serum and a moisturizer. Use an alpha hydroxy acid (such as exfoliating lactic acid) or a beta hydroxy acid (such as salicylic acid) once or twice a week to keep dullness and roughness at bay.
Q: Which brand is best for anti-aging?
All of the brands featured on this page produce clinically-proven anti-aging products.
Q: What is the number one dermatologist-recommended skin care brand?
Every dermatologist will have their own preferences as to the best skin care brand, but most will agree that the brands featured on this page are highly reputable and trustworthy.
Q: What is the best anti-aging skin care line?
We love the LifeCell skin care line for tackling aging-related skin concerns.
Q: What are the best skin products for aging skin on the hands?
A hand cream is a must, and this should be used every time you wash your hands. Investing in a hand mask to use once or twice a week would also be beneficial.
Q: What is the best wrinkle cream on the market?
You’ll find the best wrinkle creams on the market featured on this page!
Q: What is the best anti-aging kit for combination skin?
If you have combination skin, you may be better off purchasing individual products, rather than an anti-aging kit. This will enable you to tailor your routine to your skin’s specific needs, since combination skin is basically like having two skin types in one.
Q: Do skin treatments with retinoids cause redness?
Yes, skincare products with retinoids can cause temporary redness. However, this can be avoided by introducing them into your skincare routine gradually and combining them with skin-soothing ingredients.
Q: What’s the best sunscreen for aging skin?
Look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Ideally, the formula should also contain vitamins and antioxidants.
Shopping for anti-aging products can sometimes feel like navigating a minefield, but our recommendations above should hopefully make life a little easier for you. Whether you’re dealing with fine lines, deep wrinkles, dark spots, or anything else, each of these products will help to restore your skin’s youthful firmness, bounce, and radiance.