You may have been able to ignore those fine lines up until now, but once you hit your 40s, those creases become all the more noticeable. Combined with dark spots, dullness, and an overall loss of firmness, it’s no surprise that people in their 40s start to pay more attention to skincare, even if they’ve never given it much thought in the past.
Here’s the good news; so long as you’re consistently using the right products, it’s still possible to turn back the clock on your skin. The bad news? Finding the right products isn’t as easy as it may seem. After all, you don’t want to waste precious months religiously slathering on a wrinkle cream only to find out that not only has it failed to work, but your wrinkles have deepened in the meantime.
So, since time is of the essence, waste no more of it and scroll on – here are 10 anti-aging products that are ideal for people in their 40s. Even better, each one has been clinically proven to work.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Olay Regenerist Retinol24 Night Moisturizer
#3rd Best Choice
Table of Contents
- Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40 Year Olds With Wrinkles & a Loss of Firmness: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for 40s: Olay Regenerist Retinol24 Night Moisturizer
- Top Dermatologist-Recommended Face Cleanser for Women with Sensitive Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Cleanser
- Best Formula for Boosting Collagen Production & Skin Lifting Results: Rodan + Fields Intensive Renewing Serum
- Best Serum to Use for Antioxidants & Environmental Protection Benefits: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
- Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40s if You Have Dark Spots & Discoloration: Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Moisturizer
- Best OTC Exfoliant for the Face & Neck: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
- Best Treatment for Crow’s Feet: RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
- Best Moisturizer for 40 Year Olds to Use During the Day: EltaMD UV Facial Broad-Spectrum SPF 30+
- Best Cleanser for Mature Oily Skin: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Q: What products should I use on my face in my 40s?
- Q: Which anti-aging cream is best after 40?
- Q: How can 40 year olds improve their skin?
- Q: What serums should I use in my 40s?
- Q: What is the best anti-aging skin care line?
- Q: What is the best anti-aging cream for 30s?
- Q: What are the best anti-aging skin care products for 40s?
- Q: What is the best anti-aging regimen for 40s?
- Q: What is the best affordable skin care routine for 40s?
- Q: What is the best wrinkle cream on the market?
- Q: Which treatments are best for wrinkles?
Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40 Year Olds With Wrinkles & a Loss of Firmness: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
One of our all-time favorite anti-aging products for anyone experiencing fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, and loose skin is the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment. This product works like magic when it comes to how it can instantly smooth fine lines and wrinkles while brightening the skin tone. Use it consistently and you’ll soon notice deeper wrinkles fading away too and your skin taking on a tighter finish.
Key Ingredients: Retinoids, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid & DMAE
Any dermatologist will tell you that vitamins A and C are two must-haves in any anti-aging skincare routine. Not only does this formula contain both, but it boasts two forms of each, meaning double the benefits.
It’s also loaded with hyaluronic acid for its hydrating and skin-plumping abilities, as well as DMAE. This ingredient is slightly lesser-known but very worthy – research shows that it’s great for mitigating wrinkles and improving overall skin texture .
- Contains a selection of the most effective anti-aging ingredients available
- Keeps the skin hydrated while also tackling all aspects of skin aging
- A fragrance-free and paraben-free formula that’s safe for all skin types
- A little more expensive than other anti-aging creams, but you get what you pay for. In this case, it’s high-performance ingredients that deliver results
Best Anti-Aging Night Cream for 40s: Olay Regenerist Retinol24 Night Moisturizer
Once you’re in your 40s, a night cream is absolutely vital. For this, many turn to the Olay Regenerist Retinol24 Night Moisturizer, and it’s easy to see why. This velvety cream hydrates the skin for up to 24 hours while helping to significantly improve skin tone and texture after 28 days of nightly use.
Key Ingredients: Niacinamide & Retinoid Complex
This cream contains several hydrating ingredients, including glycerin and peptides. However, its long-term effects are down to a special retinoid complex that enhances the regular effects of retinol. This means increased collagen production and renewed skin at a much faster rate.
This is helped by the addition of niacinamide, also known as vitamin B3. This antioxidant has been proven to help with everything from strengthening the skin barrier to decreasing hyperpigmentation , making it extremely useful for a person in their 40s.
- A very hydrating formula that will quench your skin for up to 24 hours
- Contains good ingredients for firming and brightening the skin
- Contains alcohols and parabens, which could irritate sensitive skin
Top Dermatologist-Recommended Face Cleanser for Women with Sensitive Skin: La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Cleanser
The skin turns thinner and drier with age, meaning that it often becomes more sensitive too. Cleansers are infamous for how they disrupt the skin barrier, so you need to choose yours carefully once you reach your 40s. Our top pick? The La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Cleanser. Specifically designed for sensitive, allergy-prone skin, this wipe-off milk will gently lift impurities from your skin without stripping it of its protective oils.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin & La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water
We’ll be honest – there aren’t many standout ingredients in this formula, but its simplicity is what makes it such a hit. By keeping its ingredient list short and sweet, sensitive skin is far less likely to react to it.
So, rather than stuffing it with skin-irritating active ingredients, this cleanser offers up a soothing mix of glycerin (a moisture-binding humectant) and La Roche-Posay thermal spring water. It may not sound very impressive, but this water is actually very rich in selenium and other skin-loving elements, with studies showing that it demonstrates protective and soothing properties .
- Gentle enough for highly-sensitive skin – it even has the seal of approval from the British Allergy Foundation
- Removes makeup, dirt, and other impurities without stripping the skin
- Doesn’t contain many anti-aging ingredients (but it perfectly preps your skin to better absorb the anti-aging ingredients that you subsequently apply in the rest of your skincare routine)
Best Formula for Boosting Collagen Production & Skin Lifting Results: Rodan + Fields Intensive Renewing Serum
If you would like to give your sagging skin a lift without resorting to needles, try the Rodan + Fields Intensive Renewing Serum. This silky solution is encased in capsules, which helps to keep the active ingredients fresh and potent for longer. With each capsule you apply, you’ll be giving your skin what it needs to boost collagen and elastin production, resulting in a smoother, firmer, and more voluminous finish.
Key Ingredients: Retinal-MD™ Technology & Peptides
The main anti-aging ingredient in this serum is retinal, a highly-potent form of vitamin A. Since it could potentially lead to side effects, the retinal in this blend has been combined with a calcium buffering system. Simply put, this encapsulates the retinal molecule, enabling your skin to tolerate it without any issues.
Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14 is also a key component of this formula. Not only does this peptide stimulate collagen production to diminish fine lines and wrinkles after just 12 weeks, but it also protects your existing protein fibers from harm .
- Contains a minimal ingredient list, which is ideal for people with sensitivities
- Makes use of a highly potent form of vitamin A to tackle skin aging
- Doesn’t offer much hydration, but this can be countered by layering a wrinkle cream over the top
Best Serum to Use for Antioxidants & Environmental Protection Benefits: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
Antioxidants are a must when it comes to the fight against aging skin. They neutralize the free radicals that would have otherwise caused serious damage to your protein fibers and the DNA in your skin cells. The best way to feed your skin with antioxidants is by using a serum, and the SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic is our top choice. Thanks to its high antioxidant content, this serum is a superstar at protecting against environmental harm, whether this may be pollution, UV damage, or anything else.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin C, Vitamin E & Ferulic Acid
With a 15% concentration of ascorbic acid (the purest form of vitamin C), you could easily call this product a vitamin C serum. However, it also incorporates 1% vitamin E, another potent antioxidant that supports how ascorbic acid instigates a tighter and brighter complexion.
0.5% ferulic acid has been included in this formula too. This is what offers huge amounts of environmental protection, with research showing that the photoprotective effects of ferulic acid double when the ingredient is combined with vitamins C and E .
- Great for protecting the skin from environmental damage, thanks to its high antioxidant content
- Preserves skin cell integrity while enhancing cell turnover and boosting collagen synthesis
- Doesn’t offer much in terms of hydration, but it can easily be combined with a moisturizer
- This vitamin C serum is not suitable for oily skin
Best Anti-Aging Cream for 40s if You Have Dark Spots & Discoloration: Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Moisturizer
Fine lines and wrinkles are usually the biggest skin concern when a person hits their 40s, but dark spots and discoloration can cause a problem too. If you can relate, give the Caudalie Vinoperfect Brightening Moisturizer a try to instantly lighten dark patches while preventing new ones from forming.
Key Ingredients: Viniferine & Niacinamide
Viniferine is an ingredient that has been patented by Caudalie. It comes from vine sap and, according to the brand’s testing, is 62 times more effective than vitamin C at fading dark spots.
It becomes even more powerful when it joins forces with niacinamide, which you’ll also find in this cream. By soothing and moisturizing the skin, sensitive areas feel calmer while the skin barrier thickens and strengthens.
- 97% of the ingredients in this cream come from natural sources
- Paraben-free and doesn’t contain any other harmful preservatives
- Provides both instant and long-term brightening results
- Contains fragrance
Best OTC Exfoliant for the Face & Neck: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant
It’s so important for anyone in their 40s to regularly remove dead skin cells from the surface of their skin. This helps to keep the complexion looking fresh and bright, while also enhancing natural cell turnover. For this, give the Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant a try. There aren’t many exfoliants out there that are safe to be used daily, but this one is made with gentle actives that also soothe, calm, and moisturize the skin.
Key Ingredients: Rice Powder, Rice Bran, White Tea & Licorice
The exfoliating agents in this product come from rice, meaning that they’re super-gentle. As soon as this exfoliating powder hits your skin, it releases a blend of papain, salicylic acid, and rice enzymes to clear dead cells and brighten skin tone.
Dermalogica has also added white tea to this formula for its anti-inflammatory properties , as well as licorice root extract for its skin-lightening abilities.
- Gentle enough to allow you to exfoliate every day without irritating your skin
- Instantly brightens and adds radiance to the complexion
- Just like any exfoliant, this one shouldn’t be used on its own. Always follow up with a moisturizer or facial oil to complete your skincare routine
Best Treatment for Crow’s Feet: RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream
You’ll notice new fine lines forming around your eyes once you’re in your 30s, with existing expression lines deepening into wrinkles. An eye cream is the best way to counter this, with the RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream being a popular choice. This formula will brighten and de-puff your eye area after four weeks of regular use while reducing fine lines, crow’s feet, and deeper wrinkles by 50% after 12 weeks.
Key Ingredients: Retinol & Panthenol
Many anti-aging eye creams contain retinol, but this one makes use of an exclusive, patented retinol complex that’s significantly more powerful than other OTC versions. It’s almost as potent as prescription retinol products, making it extremely successful at treating aging skin.
Panthenol, aka vitamin B5, is also used in this anti-aging product. A common ingredient in hair care products, this compound is loved for its moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties .
- Contains retinol but is gentle enough to be used daily on the delicate skin around the eyes
- Helps with puffiness, dark circles, and crow’s feet
- Contains parabens
- Doesn’t contain enough hydrating ingredients for dry skin
Best Moisturizer for 40 Year Olds to Use During the Day: EltaMD UV Facial Broad-Spectrum SPF 30+
One of the best things that you could do for your skin once you’re in your 40s is to make sure that you wear sunscreen each and every day. The EltaMD UV Facial Broad-Spectrum SPF 30+ is ideal for this. It protects the skin from the damage that sun exposure can cause, while also providing the skin with a deep dose of moisture.
Key Ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Hyaluronic Acid & Vitamin E
Zinc oxide is a mineral sunscreen agent that many believe to be safer than chemical-based UV blockers. It provides both UVA and UVB protection, making it perfect for shielding your skin from sun damage.
Hyaluronic acid has been used in this formula too in the form of sodium hyaluronate. This hydrates the skin and plumps it up, making it look fresh and radiant. This is helped by vitamin E, which also brings with it powerful antioxidant properties.
- Non-comedogenic, so won’t lead to clogged pores on acne-prone skin
- Protects the skin from sun damage while also hydrating the skin
- Some people find that this formula is too thick for oily skin
Best Cleanser for Mature Oily Skin: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
Most anti-aging products are geared toward dry skin, simply because the skin dries out as it ages. However, if excess oil is a concern, then the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is the perfect way to kickstart your skincare routine. This soothing blend will deeply cleanse your skin without stripping it dry, while also providing it with plenty of moisture and hydration.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid & Niacinamide
There are multiple ceramides in this formula, which is always great to see. Ceramides are capable of significantly increasing skin hydration levels for up to 24 hours , without weighing the skin down or clogging pores.
Hyaluronic acid does the same, while niacinamide helps to keep the complexion looking balanced, bright, and even.
- Effectively cleanses the skin without completely stripping it dry
- Contains several lightweight hydrating ingredients
- Contains parabens
Q: What products should I use on my face in my 40s?
Once you’re in your 40s, you should be using a cleanser, a serum, an eye cream, and a face cream on your face each day.
Q: Which anti-aging cream is best after 40?
The 10 anti-aging products that we’ve featured on this page are ideal for people who are older than 40.
Q: How can 40 year olds improve their skin?
40 year olds can improve their skin by following a regular skincare routine. Use products that are rich in peptides, ceramides, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Q: What serums should I use in my 40s?
The two serums featured on this page are absolutely perfect for people in their 40s.
Q: What is the best anti-aging skin care line?
There are several good anti-aging skincare lines out there – look for one that offers ingredients that targets the specific skin concerns that you’re facing.
Q: What is the best anti-aging cream for 30s?
All of the creams that we’ve featured on this page would work well for people in their 30s and 40s.
Q: What are the best anti-aging skin care products for 40s?
The best anti-aging products for 40s would depend on your skin type. That said, everyone should be using a cleanser, a serum, an eye cream, and a wrinkle cream.
Q: What is the best anti-aging regimen for 40s?
The best anti-aging regimen for a person in their 40s would consist of a cleanser, a toner, a serum (or two!), an eye cream, and a face cream.
Q: What is the best affordable skin care routine for 40s?
To keep your skin care routine affordable yet effective, focus on the essentials. This would be a cleanser, a serum, and a moisturizer.
Q: What is the best wrinkle cream on the market?
We’re big fans of the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment – it’s one of the best wrinkle creams on the market.
Q: Which treatments are best for wrinkles?
All of the treatments featured on this page are fantastic for wrinkles and offer a great alternative to cosmetic procedures.
You may not have paid much attention to anti-aging skincare in the past, but now that you’re in your 40s, it’s time for you to really focus on your skin. Identify your main skin concerns and then pick and mix from the products featured above until you have created a solid skincare routine that’s capable of stopping the aging process in its tracks.