When it comes to the inevitable fight against the skin aging process, a moisturizer is one of your most important weapons. As your skin grows older, its ability to produce structural proteins, hyaluronic acid, and other vital compounds declines, resulting in wrinkles, dullness, and loss of firmness commonly associated with aging.
A good moisturizer will help to counter all of that, making this a non-negotiable step in your skincare routine if you want to keep the visible signs of aging at bay.
But how do you go about finding an anti-aging moisturizer that actually works? Read on – we’ve rounded up 10 of the best anti-aging creams available, each one clinically proven to slow down, and even reverse, skin aging.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Olay Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Moisturizer
#3rd Best Choice
Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream
Table of Contents
- 1 Top Rated Dermatologist-Recommended Formula for Mature Skin: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- 2 Best Age Defying Cream for Brightening & Hydrating Benefits: Olay Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Moisturizer
- 3 Best Daytime Moisturizer for Aging Skin: Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream
- 4 Best Lotion for Aging Skin on the Face & Neck: CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Sunscreen
- 5 Best Anti-Aging Moisturizer for Dry Skin: Clinique Custom Repair Night Moisturizer
- 6 Best Drugstore Skincare Product for Layering Under Makeup: Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer
- 7 Best Formula to Use for Fine Lines & Deep Wrinkles on the Forehead: RoC Multi Correxion Hyaluronic Acid Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
- 8 Best Moisturizer for Reducing Irritation in the Summer: SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50
- 9 Best Moisturizer for Boosting Collagen Production & Elasticity: Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer
- 10 Best Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60: Avène RetrinAL Day Cream
- 11 FAQ
- 12 Conclusion: Choosing the Best Wrinkle Cream for Your Skin
Top Rated Dermatologist-Recommended Formula for Mature Skin: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
While some anti-aging products only focus on one or two aging-related skin concerns, the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment is a true all-rounder. Suitable for all skin types, this anti-aging cream will smooth fine lines and wrinkles, brighten a dull skin tone, and tighten up your overall complexion.
Key Ingredients: Retinol, Vitamin C, DMAE & Antioxidants
The reason why this product is able to multi-task to such an extent is that it contains such a diverse array of anti-aging ingredients. It’s loaded with two types of vitamin A, two types of vitamin C, DMAE, and a number of antioxidant-rich botanical extracts. These are some of the best anti-aging ingredients that money can buy, with this combination being particularly effective.
That said, while those ingredients are great for stimulating collagen production in the long run, this formula also uses light-reflecting microtechnology and micro-fillers to give the skin a smoother and brighter finish immediately after application.
- Provides both instant and long term smoothing and brightening results
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic, making it suitable for all skin types
- A little more expensive than some of the other anti-aging products that we’ve featured (but it’s 100% worth it for one of the best wrinkle creams out there)
Best Age Defying Cream for Brightening & Hydrating Benefits: Olay Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Moisturizer
If dullness and dryness are your two main issues, then feast your eyes on the Olay Vitamin C + Peptide 24 Moisturizer. Proven to double your skin’s brightness in just 28 days, this formula will also help to hydrate your skin while smoothing wrinkles and skin texture.
Key Ingredients: Vitamin C, Amino Peptides, Niacinamide & Lactic Acid
Vitamin C stars front and center here, an antioxidant that has not only been proven to boost collagen production but also helps to treat sun damage and brighten hyperpigmentation .
This is backed by amino acids and peptides, which your skin uses to produce new protein fibers, along with niacinamide to keep the skin barrier running smoothly. This cream also contains lactic acid, which is the gentlest of the alpha-hydroxy acids. It works to promote cell turnover while removing dead skin cells, both of which are vital for keeping the skin smooth and bright.
- A formula that effectively brightens, hydrates, and smoothes the skin
- Contains an alpha-hydroxy acid, giving it a mild exfoliating effect
- Contains a few ingredients that could irritate sensitive skin
Best Daytime Moisturizer for Aging Skin: Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream
It’s so important to always wear sunscreen, especially once the signs of aging start creeping up on your face. That’s why we love the Rodan & Fields Redefine Triple Defense Cream. In addition to helping with fine lines, deep wrinkles, and the loss of firmness, this product also offers SPF 30 to shield your skin from sun damage.
Key Ingredients: Peptides, Grape Extract & Beet Extract
While peptides keep the skin barrier fortified, grape juice extract and beet extract throw in a heap of antioxidants. Grape is a great one for reducing fine lines and dark spots, while beet helps to plump and moisturize the skin.
You’ll also find several other unique botanical extracts in this formula, including artichoke, mushroom, and reed grass.
- Offers SPF 30 to protect the skin from UV rays
- Contains a number of antioxidants to fight free radicals and stimulate collagen production
- This is a chemical, rather than a mineral, sunscreen, which could irritate sensitive skin
Best Lotion for Aging Skin on the Face & Neck: CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Sunscreen
If you have oily skin and prefer to use lighter products, rather than a rich cream, then the CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion with Sunscreen is just what you need. This non-comedogenic formula not only offers broad spectrum SPF 30 protection, making it ideal for daily use, but it also helps to increase skin moisture levels and plump up the skin barrier.
Key Ingredients: Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid & Vitamin B3
There are a number of hydrating and moisturizing ingredients in this formula, including ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide. These strengthen and thicken the skin barrier, which smoothes away fine lines.
While the sunscreen agents are chemical-based, this lotion does also contain microfine zinc oxide. This allows the lotion to spread evenly over the skin, without leaving behind the white tint that some sunscreens are infamous for.
- Offers SPF 30 to protect skin from UVA and UVB rays
- Contains several ingredients that moisturize, plump, and strengthen the skin’s barrier
- Contains multiple parabens, a preservative that many try to avoid
Best Anti-Aging Moisturizer for Dry Skin: Clinique Custom Repair Night Moisturizer
If you have severely dry skin, then you’ll need something super-moisturizing, which is where the Clinique Custom Repair Night Moisturizer comes in. That said, this product is suitable for other skin types too – the magic behind it is that there are three versions available, enabling you to customize the formula that you receive to your skin type.
Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, Micrococcus Luteus Extract, Tamarind Seed Oil
While the plumping effects of hyaluronic acid can be experienced by using several of the creams on this list, the other ingredients in this deep wrinkle night cream give it that extra-special touch.
Cosmetic and clinical research shows that micrococcus luteus extract works best at night and helps to repair photodamage  (which includes wrinkles, dark spots, and an uneven texture), while tamarind seed oil protects the skin from aging while smoothing its texture to prevent wrinkles .
- Contains unique ingredients that aren’t commonly used in other anti-aging products
- A good formula for encouraging skin repair and regeneration overnight
- Three night cream versions available to suit dry, combination, and oily skin
- There isn’t a version available for sensitive skin
Best Drugstore Skincare Product for Layering Under Makeup: Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer
Many anti-aging creams can be pretty thick and rich, meaning that they aren’t suitable for layering under makeup. That’s one reason why the Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer is so popular – it has a beautifully lightweight texture that enables it to act as a makeup primer too. The other reason? It instantly hydrates and firms the skin, with bigger and better results visible after 28 days.
Key Ingredients: Peptides & Niacinamide
This formula hinges on two key ingredients, with peptides being the first. When used topically, peptides stimulate collagen production , making them a must in every anti-aging skincare routine.
Niacinamide is the second half of the duo. Also known as vitamin B3, it’s an antioxidant that also helps to strengthen the skin’s barrier, improve skin elasticity, reduce enlarged pores, even out the skin tone, and fade dark circles .
- An improvement can be seen immediately after application, with results improving even more after a further 28 days
- Has a very lightweight and non-greasy texture – works well as a makeup primer too
- Hydrates, plumps, and firms the skin
- Contains ingredients that could trigger sensitivities
- Doesn’t contain quite as many anti-aging ingredients as some of the other creams on this list
Best Formula to Use for Fine Lines & Deep Wrinkles on the Forehead: RoC Multi Correxion Hyaluronic Acid Daily Moisturizer SPF 30
If you’ve been trying to get rid of deeper wrinkles on your forehead and other parts of your face, give the RoC Multi Correxion Hyaluronic Acid Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 a try. Use it daily and you’ll notice a visible reduction in those lines in just one week.
Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic Acid, Glycerin & Jasmine Extract
This formula is all about plumping up the skin from within. For that, it depends on the hydrating properties of hyaluronic acid and glycerin, both of which are powerful humectants.
This formula also incorporates jasmine leaf extract. This botanical is very nourishing and soothing, while also offering up anti-inflammatory properties .
- Provides anti-aging results in just one week
- Formulated with SPF 30 to protect skin from UV damage
- Doesn’t contain as many anti-aging ingredients as other products
- Chemical sunscreen agents could exacerbate sensitivities
Best Moisturizer for Reducing Irritation in the Summer: SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50
If you find that your skin seems to age even faster during the summer months, then you need to protect it even more, which is exactly what the SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50 will help you to do. This tinted sunscreen formula will instantly mask any redness or discoloration that you may already be experiencing while guarding your skin against further damage.
Key Ingredients: Plankton Extract & Mineral Filters
Not only do the mineral filters in this product protect your skin from UV damage, but they also give a radiant sheen to the skin, leaving it with a healthy glow.
This is made even better with the addition of artemia salina extract, a type of plankton that improves the skin’s natural resistance to stress caused by heat or the sun.
- Contains 100% mineral sunscreen agents, yet is a weightless formula that absorbs quickly
- Suitable for all skin types
- Focuses more on sun and heat protection, rather than anti-aging. That said, it would be great layered over the top of one of the other anti-aging creams on this list!
Best Moisturizer for Boosting Collagen Production & Elasticity: Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer
Collagen and elastin are the two main structural proteins that give your skin its volume and smoothness. Natural production declines with age, leading to wrinkles and other issues, but the Caudalie Premier Cru Cream Moisturizer is capable of boosting this back up. It tackles 8 of the most common aging-related concerns, with clinical studies showing a huge improvement in wrinkles, dark spots, elasticity, hydration, and overall radiance after 56 days of regular use.
Key Ingredients: Viniferine, Hyaluronic Acid & TET8™ Patented Technology
There are a few ingredients in this formula that you won’t find elsewhere, with viniferine being one. This is a patented extract that comes from vine sap, with the brand’s clinical studies showing it to be 62 times more effective than vitamin C at brightening and adding radiance to the skin.
This is combined with TET8™ Patented Technology, which came about after 10 years of research with the Harvard Medical School. It combines resveratrol with a special magnolia extract, allowing this formula to activate the youth proteins in your skin.
- Contains patented ingredients that you won’t find elsewhere
- A high-powered formula that helps with every aspect of skin aging
- Its refillable packaging is kinder to the environment and will save you money in the long run
- Needs to be used very consistently twice a day, as both a day cream and a night cream, for results to be seen
Best Moisturizer for Aging Skin Over 60: Avène RetrinAL Day Cream
Once you hit your 60s, your skin will thin and dry out at a much faster rate. To keep it feeling plump and supple, turn to the Avene RetrinAL Day Cream. This hydrating formula focuses on delivering moisture to skin cells, which is exactly what mature skin needs.
Key Ingredients: Glycerin, Shea Butter & Vitamin E
Some of the industry’s most-loved hydrating ingredients can be found in this formula, including sodium hyaluronate, glycerin, shea butter, and vitamin E.
It also contains a compound called collactintm, which is derived from brown algae. Algae is known for its high antioxidant content, enabling it to slow down the skin aging process.
- A very nourishing and hydrating formula
- Gives the skin tone a more balanced finish while lifting the overall complexion
- Focuses more on hydration instead of anti-aging
Q: What is the most effective anti-aging moisturizer?
The most effective anti-aging moisturizer will be one that contains a blend of powerful vitamins, peptides, and antioxidants.
Q: What anti-aging creams do dermatologists recommend?
All of the anti-aging creams on this list have been recommended by dermatologists.
Q: What wrinkle cream actually works?
All of the 10 wrinkle creams featured on this page have been clinically proven to work. Some offer instant results, some need a week, while others show improvements after a month.
Q: Is moisturizing good for anti-aging?
Yes, moisturizing is essential in any anti-aging routine. Without moisturizing, your skin will continue to age at a rapid rate.
Q: According to reviews, what is the best wrinkle cream on the market?
The 10 wrinkle creams that we’ve featured on this page all have fantastic reviews and ratings! Going by those, these would be the best wrinkle creams available on the market.
Q: What is the best moisturizer for 70-year-old skin that provides instant results?
The LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment is a great moisturizer for providing instant results on mature skin.
Q: Are serum products containing retinoids good for anti-aging?
Yes, serums containing retinoids are very effective at slowing down the skin aging process.
Conclusion: Choosing the Best Wrinkle Cream for Your Skin
Chances are that there are several creams on this list that intrigue you. Truth be told, if you really want to give your skin the best, then you’ll need two; one with SPF for daytime use, and then another to support your skin overnight. Take your pick from the products that we’ve featured above and you won’t go wrong – your skin should start to look smoother, firmer, and brighter in just a few weeks.