While it’s common knowledge that your skin type and age should play key roles in determining which skincare products you use, should the color of your skin come into play too?
It may surprise you to know that, in some cases, the answer is yes. Although people of every skin tone experience the same skin concerns, research shows that those with darker skin are more likely to develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation . On the plus side, darker skin is believed to be stronger and more resilient, with better moisture retention capabilities than light skin .
So, while the majority of skincare products will work in the same way on every skin color, there are certain formulas that would be especially beneficial for darker skin types. Where can you find them? Right here – scroll on to learn more about the 10 very best moisturizers for black skin.
|Editor's Choice||#2nd Best Choice||#3rd Best Choice|
LifeCell All-In-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
#2nd Best Choice
Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant
#3rd Best Choice
Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
Table of Contents
- Best Face Moisturizer for Black Skin with Fine Lines, Wrinkles & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
- Best Moisturizer for Black Oily Skin Prone to Acne: Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant
- Best Face Cream for a Transformational Anti-Aging Result: Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
- Best Serum for Dark Skin With Dryness & Signs of Aging: Rodan + Fields Active Hydration Serum
- Best Daytime Face Cream for Black Skin: EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44 Sunscreen
- Best Natural Moisturizer for Black Skin of All Skin Types: MARA Evening Primrose + Green Tea Algae Retinol Oil
- Best Face Moisturizer for Black Women with Dark Spots & Blemishes to Wear Under Makeup: Neutrogena Bright Boost Illuminating Serum
- Best Face Moisturizer for Black Men with Combination Skin: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic Serum for Skin with Vitamins C and E
- Best Brightening Formula to Purchase to Give All Skin Tones an Instant Glow: SkinMedica Lytera 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum
- Best Moisturizer for Dry Black Skin: Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream
- Q: Which moisturizer is best for black skin?
- Q: How can black people make their skin look younger?
- Q: What is good for wrinkles on African American skin?
- Q: Is Olay good for African American skin?
- Q: What is a good facial moisturizer for black skin?
- Q: Do darker people have oilier skin?
- Q: What lotion is best for black skin?
- Q: What is the best face lotion for black skin that’s safe for use around the eyes?
- Q: What is the best body lotion for black skin with natural ingredients?
- Q: Are vitamin C products safe for dark skin tones?
- Conclusion: So, What is the Best Face Moisturizer for African American Skin?
Best Face Moisturizer for Black Skin with Fine Lines, Wrinkles & Hyperpigmentation: LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment
If you’re looking for a way to stop the aging process in its tracks, then the LifeCell All-in-One Skin-Tightening Treatment should be your first point of call. This revolutionary formula contains several anti-aging classics, including vitamins A, C, D3, and E, plus a variety of peptides and humectants, all of which work to improve the skin’s texture and tone.
However, there are also a few special extras that really supercharge this formula. DMAE is a game-changer when it comes to smoothing away wrinkles and boosting elasticity, while light-reflecting microtechnology enables this cream to instantly mask fine lines and imperfections, giving the skin a bright and youthful glow. It’s no surprise that this formula is considered to be one of the best moisturizers for black aging skin!
- Instantly hides lines and blemishes while giving the skin a smoother and tighter look in the long run
- Contains several of the best anti-aging ingredients in the industry
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, dermatologist-tested, hypoallergenic, and safe for all skin types
- Slightly pricey, but that’s understandable when you consider the ingredients and the proven results
Best Moisturizer for Black Oily Skin Prone to Acne: Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant
While the Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant isn’t technically a moisturizer, it’s a product that we would highly recommend adding to your moisturizing routine if you have acne-prone skin. It provides the ultimate pore cleanse, giving your skin a daily detox to prevent pollutants and other toxins from triggering breakouts and accelerating the skin aging process.
The exfoliating agents in this formula consist of a gentle blend of alpha hydroxy acids; malic acid and lactic acid. Charcoal powder is present too – it adds a touch of physical exfoliation to the AHAs, while also effectively drawing impurities out of the skin. There are several other natural compounds in this blend as well. From lemon peel oil to rosemary oil, these ingredients fight free radicals to keep premature aging at bay.
- Deeply cleanses the pores while guarding the skin against environmental damage
- Leaves you with a smoother skin texture and a brighter skin tone
- Can be used on all skin types, but is especially beneficial for people prone to acne breakouts
- This product won’t keep the skin moisturized on its own. You’ll need to follow it up with an additional moisturizer
Best Face Cream for a Transformational Anti-Aging Result: Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream
There’s a reason why Olay has made such a name for itself over the years – the anti-aging products produced by the brand really do deliver on results, and the Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream is no exception. Thanks to a blend of hyaluronic acid and glycerin, this bestselling cream instantly hydrates and plumps up the skin, leaving it looking radiant.
However, it’s not all about instant gratification…Use this cream regularly for 28 days and you’ll notice that your complexion looks smoother, brighter, and more toned, with overall skin health improving. This is all down to the formula’s peptide and vitamin blend, which work to stimulate collagen production to give you younger-looking skin.
- Immediately hydrates the skin while providing long-term anti-aging benefits
- Contains proven anti-aging ingredients
- Contains fragrance and behenyl alcohol, which could irritate sensitive skin
Best Serum for Dark Skin With Dryness & Signs of Aging: Rodan + Fields Active Hydration Serum
Did you know that fine lines and wrinkles are so much more noticeable on dry skin? Fortunately, the Rodan + Fields Active Hydration Serum can help with both dryness and aging. This innovative formula contains a 3D3P Molecular Matrix that consists of a mixture of 30% glycerin and cross-linked hyaluronic acid to deeply hydrate the skin – this serum is able to increase skin moisture levels by 200%!
In addition to quenching thirsty skin, this silky solution is also loaded with multiple ceramides. These act as skin moisturizers while also boosting skin barrier function . Lactic acid has been included too for its ability to clear away rough and dry dead skin cells while hydrating the skin at the same time.
- Boosts skin hydration levels by 200%, making it ideal for people with dry skin, although it can be safely used on all skin types
- Contains a powerful ceramide mix that provides anti-aging properties
- Absorbs into the skin quickly
- Contains fragrance, which could irritate sensitive skin
Best Daytime Face Cream for Black Skin: EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44 Sunscreen
While it’s true that people of color are less likely to develop skin cancer, this knowledge has led to a complacency that delays detection and diagnosis, resulting in a higher fatality rate overall . When it comes to protecting yourself from skin cancer, along with all of the wrinkles and hyperpigmentation that sun exposure causes, sunscreen is a must, and the EltaMD UV Elements Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 44 Sunscreen would be our top choice.
This SPF 44 moisturizing cream relies on zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to provide broad-spectrum sun protection to all skin types, even hypersensitive skin. It also contains sodium hyaluronate to give the skin the hydration it needs through the day, plus vitamin C to fight aging and keep your skin healthy. Whether you have black, caucasian, or Asian skin, this formula is a winner.
- Offers SPF 44 to protect the skin from UV rays
- Hydrates the skin while minimizing the signs of aging
- Has a slight tint that gives blemishes and imperfections some extra coverage
- Although the tint is meant to be universal, some people find that it’s too light for very dark skin
Best Natural Moisturizer for Black Skin of All Skin Types: MARA Evening Primrose + Green Tea Algae Retinol Oil
If you’ve been trying to keep your skincare routine as natural as possible, then the MARA Evening Primrose + Green Tea Algae Retinol Oil will no doubt be a welcomed addition. This award-winning face oil boasts a 1.2% concentration of clean retinol combined with several natural sources of vitamin A. With retinol/vitamin A proven to boost cell renewal and reduce wrinkles , this formula is an anti-aging powerhouse.
In addition to vitamin A, it also includes fermented green tea that’s brimming with more than 20 amino acids, along with phytonutrient-rich brown seaweed and evening primrose. The oil base of this formula brings together several powerful plant oils, including sweet almond, argan, meadowfoam seed, and hemp seed.
- Contains only clean/natural skin care ingredients that have been sustainably sourced
- Deeply hydrates the skin while also tackling skin aging
- Safe for all skin types, including oily and sensitive skin
- Due to its retinol content, this facial oil can sometimes lead to skin purging, but this is normal when introducing a retinol product to your routine for the first time
Best Face Moisturizer for Black Women with Dark Spots & Blemishes to Wear Under Makeup: Neutrogena Bright Boost Illuminating Serum
If you’re searching for a moisturizer that’s hydrating yet lightweight enough to wear under makeup, then the Neutrogena Bright Boost Illuminating Serum would be a good choice. This silky serum gives the skin smoothness and plumpness that makes applying makeup over the top a breeze.
What makes this formula even more appealing is the fact that it contains Neoglucosamine, a patented brightening complex that does away with dark marks and hyperpigmentation. It gives the face an instant radiance while masking any visible signs of skin damage. It’s made even more powerful with the addition of turmeric extract, a botanical proven to help with both hyperpigmentation and wrinkles .
- A lightweight but hydrating serum that brightens and adds radiance to the skin
- Easy to layer under makeup
- Contains ingredients that could exacerbate sensitivities
Best Face Moisturizer for Black Men with Combination Skin: SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic Serum for Skin with Vitamins C and E
Some skincare products are formulated specifically for women, while others are better suited to male skin. However, thanks to its rich blend of potent antioxidants that protect the skin from environmental damage, the SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic Serum is able to appeal to both genders.
15% pure vitamin C is combined with 1% vitamin E and 0.5% ferulic acid to create a high-performance trio that helps with everything from photodamage to wrinkles to the loss of firmness. It also contains sodium hyaluronate for its hydrating properties, making this a great formula for moisturizing combination and normal skin.
- Hydrates the skin while also preventing environmental damage from accelerating skin aging
- Contains a high concentration of powerful antioxidants
- Can help to enhance the efficacy of a sunscreen
- Although it works well for normal and combination skin types, this formula isn’t hydrating enough for dry skin
Best Brightening Formula to Purchase to Give All Skin Tones an Instant Glow: SkinMedica Lytera 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum
If you’ve tried and failed to fade excess pigmentation on your face, then the SkinMedica Lytera 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum could be the solution that you need. It contains a blend of ingredients that reduce the production of melanin in your skin – the pigment that’s responsible for your dark spots. From niacinamide to phenylethyl resorcinol to phytic acid, these compounds will quickly even out your skin tone.
What about existing dark spots? Those are cleared by tranexamic acid and a marine complex, the latter of which also helps to fortify your skin’s protective barrier.
- Fades dark spots and evens out the skin tone in just two weeks
- Supports the skin’s natural barrier to keep your skin feeling healthy
- Contains lightening ingredients that are safe for black skin
- Some people found that this formula caused their skin to itch
Best Moisturizer for Dry Black Skin: Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream
There are so many creams out there that promise to help with dryness, but, in our opinion, the best anti-aging moisturizer for black skin that’s dry and flaky is the Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream. This intensely replenishing cream will keep your skin hydrated for 48 hours while restoring your skin barrier after one week.
These deeply hydrating properties are thanks to a moisturizing blend of sweet almond oil, niacinamide, panthenol, and vitamin E. Apply it at night and wake up to skin that feels smooth, soft, and supple.
- A deeply hydrating night cream formula that also helps with aging
- Fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and suitable for sensitive skin
- Although it’s non-comedogenic, people prone to acne may find this moisturizing cream to be a little too thick to sleep in
Q: Which moisturizer is best for black skin?
Lightweight but hydrating formulas work well for black skin, although you should still look for ingredients that target the specific skin concerns that you’re dealing with.
Q: How can black people make their skin look younger?
Just like people of other colors, black people can make their skin look younger by developing an anti-aging skincare routine. Following a healthy lifestyle is important too.
Q: What is good for wrinkles on African American skin?
Some of the best ingredients for wrinkles on African American skin are retinol, hyaluronic acid, peptides, ceramides, and antioxidant-rich botanical extracts.
Q: Is Olay good for African American skin?
Yes, Olay works well on all skin tones, including African American skin.
Q: What is a good facial moisturizer for black skin?
You’ll find 10 facial moisturizers that are amazing for black skin right here on this page!
Q: Do darker people have oilier skin?
People with darker skin often have more, and larger, oil glands, which can make their skin oilier.
Q: What lotion is best for black skin?
The best lotion for black skin will contain lightweight hydrating ingredients, such as sodium hyaluronate, glycerin, and jojoba oil.
Q: What is the best face lotion for black skin that’s safe for use around the eyes?
Look for a gentle formula that’s designed for sensitive skin. One that is fragrance-free and paraben-free is also important if you want to use your face lotion as an eye cream.
Q: What is the best body lotion for black skin with natural ingredients?
Some of the best natural ingredients for a body cream for black skin are shea butter, sweet almond oil, and jojoba oil.
Q: Are vitamin C products safe for dark skin tones?
Yes, it’s safe to use vitamin C on dark skin tones.
Conclusion: So, What is the Best Face Moisturizer for African American Skin?
As you can see, when it comes to choosing a new moisturizer, there are a few different factors to keep in mind. Both your skin type and tone should be prioritized, as should the primary skin concerns that you’re dealing with. Once you’ve narrowed those down, you should be able to easily pick out your top three products from the list above.